Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Mini Felted Bag

This was another one of my Christmas projects. I only have one more Christmas present to post about after this one but it has yet to be delivered yet as it proved to be a bear and I just recently finished it.

This was made for my friends toddler. I figured what little girl didn't need a little bag so I designed this little number. It is very simple and knit all in one piece, all the finishing that needs to be done are sewing up the two side and felting it.

I must say I LOVE this bag and when I get a bit of time plan on making myself a larger version of the same thing. It would make a perfect tote bag so I may experiment with large needles and 2 stands held together.

Anyway without further adieu here it is...



Materials:

any wool worsted weight yarn (must be 100% wool in order to felt)
- I used Patons Classic Wool in the colorway Rosewood

size 10 straight needles

Pattern:

CO 40 stitches

TO FORM HANDLE:

Knit 5 rows

Row 6: K12, BO 16, K12

Place 1st 12 stitches on a spare needle or stitch holder

On 2nd set of 12 work in stockinette stitch for 6 rows (ending on knit row)

Leave those stitches on the needle

Go to 2nd set of 12 stitches and rejoin yarn

Work in stockinette stitch for 6 rows (ending on a knit row)

Next Row: P12, CO 16, P12 (rejoining the stitches so you are back to 1 complete row)

*Please don't be scared by this it is basically the same premise as making a buttonhole where you CO and rejoin the stitches. I tried to explain this the best way I could but if you have any questions please feel free to ask!

THIS FORMS THE HANDLE

Here is a picture of the finished handle. It doesn't have to look perfect since you will be felting it.


The Body:

Work in stockinette stitch until bag is 22 inches long

TO FORM 2ND HANDLE:

P12, BO 16, P12

Place 1st 12 stitches on a spare needle or stitch marker

Knit 6 rows in stockinette stitch ending on a purl row

Move to the other 12 stitches and rejoin yarn

Knit 6 rows in stockinette ending on a purl row

Next Row: K12, CO 16, K12 (the same as with the first handle)

To Finish:

Knit 5 rows (40 stitches total)

BO all stitches

Sew up the two sides to form a bag

Felt bag and block


Here is a picture of the finished bag.

The dimensions were as follows:

BEFORE - 8.75"W x 11"T (bag) 1.25"T x 4"W (strap)
AFTER - 8"W x 7"T (bag) .75"T x 3.75"W (strap)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Cast-off/Cast-on Handle. That is how you did it. I was wondering since it held its shape so much better than just cutting the handle in. You have inspired me, I may need a big one too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails