Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Tuesdays Tut

So we will see how regular I stay with this but I have decided to make Tuesdays a day where I provide a tutorial on something I made or a tutorial I want to make.  This week I have an original design to share with you.  Also worth mentioning it's quite hard to get any easier than this project!  Even without a sewing machine you could manage since it's 2 lines about 6 inches long.

So without further adieu here is the

DIAPER CLUTCH:


Materials:

piece of leather or vinyl
velcro or buttons (for closure)
scissors
needle & thread/ sewing machine

Instructions:

Cut out a 10 inch x 14 inch rectangle from your vinyl or leather.


The 10 inch side is the width and is how wide your diaper clutch will be.  Mark down 2 3/4 inches from the top on each side.  You could also take chalk and draw a line across at 2 3/4 inches down from the top.  Sorry it's so hard to see the line but it's right past the sentence.


Now you will fold the material right sides together until the bottom lines up with the line you drew or marks you made.  It will be 2 3/4 inches down from the top.  Sew from the line down on both sides of your clutch.  Clip the bottom corners and turn right side out.


If you want to round the corners of your flap just use the edge of a cup or if you want a scalloped edge like mine I found a spice jar was the perfect size circle, just trace around and adjust until you like it.  Since it's vinyl or leather there is no need to finish or hem edges making it super simple and FAST!  

Your final step is to add a closure.  I added 2 pieces of velcro under the flap.  I chose to glue them because I didn't want to see the seams but you could easily sew them on (and even cover up the seams).  I also was thinking of doing buttons.  That would also be very easy, just sew buttons on where desired then mark on your flap where to make the opening.  Get out that exacto knife and cut a slip through the flap.  Voila!

**I have 3 diapers and a pack of wipes in there but there is plenty of room for more.  Also you could easily stuff some hand sanitizer down into it for a complete diaper changing on the go kit! **

Let your creative side go wild because there really are endless possibilities for this diaper clutch.  For instance you can embellish it with some yo-yo's or handmade flowers, add some beading, really the list is never ending.  You could also tweak the design a bit or the flap, you could make the flap any possible shape:  curve, triangle, scalloped, round, etc.

The best part is, you could easily make yourself, or someone else, one of these in under 20 mins!!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Now that is my kind of craft...I will be making this since I have pretty much given up the whole diaper bag thing. A nice alternative to the ziplock bags I am currently using for the stroller and car diaper kits. Classy...Oh I know.

Alicen said...

Hey Ziplocks work! At least everything is in one place and not spread out but yeah make yourself a couple of these.

I left them a bit big for change in diaper sizes but if want it to be more fitted your crafty enough to adjust! Have fun, the possibilities are endless!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails