Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Reusable Snack Bag Tutorial


So with 2 fat quarters and a bit of time you can make 6 small reusable snack bags!  I wouldn't recommend this size for a male user, I'd make them a bit wider, but for kids and even women it's perfect.

Materials:

2 fat quarters
thread
ruler
scissors/ rotary cutter
chalk (or something to mark with)
velcro - just the normal cheap kind is plenty
** lightweight fuseable interfacing (optional)

Directions:

1)  Square up your fat quarters, place them on top of each other wrong sides together and straighten the edges.

2)  Cut the longer sides of your fabric in half.  This will be the 22'ish inch side and this will make each new rectangle about 10-11 inches long.  If you laid the fabric so that the longer sides were perpendicular to you then you would cut up the middle (again perpendicular). 

3)  Next you will divide the shorter side (18 inch) into thirds and cut.  The cuts will be about 5.5-6 inches apart.  I thought I took a picture of the cut fabric but it seems to have vanished...sorry!
Your resulting rectangles will be about 6" by 11" (or close, mine were 10.5 by 5.5) and you will have 6 of them.

4)  Now you will sew around each of the rectangles, right sides together.  Be sure to leave an opening to turn them, you only need about 2 inches or so.


5)  This step is completely optional but I wanted to add some interfacing to give it some stability where you will be opening it.  I happened to have some leftover anyway.  I did this 2 different ways since I started to run out and both work just fine.  I cut the interfacing to the dimensions inside the seam.  I didn't want to add any bulk to the edges when I turned it.

The first 3 had an entire side of interfacing:

The second 3 only had interfacing along the top and bottom (the short sides).

Like I said they both worked fine and again this step is optional since they would work without it too.  I thought they may hold up better with more stability.

6)  Clip your corners and turn the fabrics right side out.  Use something with a point to get your corners, my go to is a knitting needle!  Now turn under the edges at your opening and press your seams.

7)  Take all your pressed pieces and some chalk and mark a line down 1/4 inch.  This will be the where your velcro will go.  You do not want your velcro all the way at the top edge or it will be very difficult to open!


Take your velcro, line it up with the line and sew down the two long sides.  I cut my velcro a hair shorter than the fabric so you couldn't see it once it was finished.


Do that to both ends of the fabric.

8)  All that's left to do is fold the fabric in half, lining up the velcro, to make a pouch.  Topstitch down each side and voila!

*Now one thing I did realize was that since I left my opening at the top I had to topstitch along the top, above the velcro, to secure the opening.  You may need to do that too or you could simply leave your opening on one of the long sides and it would be stitched closed on the last step when you actually sew your pouch.*


These open just like a Ziplock baggie and they come open very easily since you have a bit of fabric at the top to grab on to.  Perfect for all the dry snacks your little ones love!  When they get nasty simply throw them in the wash.  Obviously I wouldn't put anything wet into them but things like carrot sticks should be fine too.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so making these for Chris! I am begging him to do a garbage free lunch...and stop using old grocery sacks for his lunchbox like a hobo...the man will be death of me. This tutorial is great..Thanks!

Alicen said...

Men and their grocery bag lunches!! Brian does it too although we have like 3 actual lunchboxes.

Just a little note, if making them for Chris I would make them wider so the man hands can fit into it! Everything else is essentially the same though.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails