Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Two More Projects Done!

Yesterday was a very good day in the crafting world. I finished up 2 projects that I was working on, one knitted and one sewn.

The first project was a knitted hat called the "Beaufort Hat". I found the pattern on Raverly and loved the fact that it seemed simple but looked very complicated. I was getting tired of knitting plain Jane hats. I also like that is almost has a cabled look but is not cabled which is good because I don't know how to do that.

I was surprised at just how quickly this hat knit up. I also discovered that I actually like knitting a hat like this where you have to constantly count K2, P3, K7, and so on more so than just a simple garter or stockinette stitch. I think I will stop being intimidated by stitch patterns because they really aren't bad and are fun to knit. Here is a picture of the completed hat.

This picture I zoomed in trying to show the detail a little better but am not quite convinced I did. I love the color of this yarn too, it's a touch lighter than the picture but pretty close. I darkened the pictures a bit to bring out the detail more.


The other project I finished yesterday was a blanket I made for Nathan. This should have been a very simple blanket but as it usually goes, it wasn't! It's been sitting on the table for about a week now in various parts of completion. I found this fleece right after I painted his room and the green is almost the exact color as his walls which is awesome and I thought it was a very cute pattern.

I decided to do things a little different than I usually do and actually edge this blanket, the first one I have ever used edging on. That is most of what made this project so difficult. Also the fact that the zigzag stitch didn't want to work certainly didn't help. I am glad I have a bunch of different "design" stitches so I just picked another one and it worked fine. Strange I know.

Anyway it was worth all the trouble because it came out pretty well and is super cute. It's perfect too now because he's outgrown all his baby blankets and we only have 2 or 3 larger ones. I do like the satin edging so I may give it another shot on one of the other blankets I am making for Nathan but I don't think I would ever do it on a larger quilt/blanket. We'll stick to crib size and toddler size.

1 comment:

The Beauty Queen From Mars said...

The hat is really pretty, both the color and the stitch pattern.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails