Friday, July 22, 2011

Sweet Success

So after the failure with the "simple" dress and way too many hours spent on this one "simple" skirt I finally ended up with something wearable!

Here is the dress that looks like, and seems like, it would be cute.  That is until you put it on, it was all wrong.  I hope to use the skirt fabric to make another more fitted skirt with a zipper but that won't be for a while.


For some reason I was feeling rather determined to make myself a piece of clothing.  An actual, real piece of adult clothing.  After the dress I set out to make a skirt.  I did what I saw mentioned in too many crafty blogs to count.  I found a skirt that I really liked and used that to make a pattern for another skirt.  I had bought this linen fabric for super cheap during one of those 50% off clearance prices sale and decided to use that since it wouldn't be much money lost if it didn't turn out. 

Well I diligently laid out my skirt all nice on top of the fabric and traced.  What I didn't realized was the fact that I used an A-line skirt therefore the sides of the skirt were about 5 inches shorter than the center!  I failed to realize this until I got it all sewed up and tried it on to see how it looked.  Boy was I surprised!  I put it away that night and thought about how I could salvage this.  I decided to cut straight across the entire skirt at the length of the edge.  I also decided to make a 6 inch wide ruffle to sew on the bottom to give it enough length to be wearable.  In the end my tricks worked and I ended up with a very cute skirt! 


 Since I finally figured out what to do to make a very simple skirt I decided to make another one with this fabric I fell in love with.  It's another linen fabric that I bought at the end of spring thinking it would make for a nice summery skirt.  It turns out that as long as you have a fabric that drapes nicely you simply need to cut out a rectangle, sew the sides, hem it and make a casing for your elastic.  Really it's that simple!  For the one below I decided to make it slightly A-line so I added 3 inches to each side of my waist measurement and drew a line connecting the two.  Worked like a charm.  I'm thinking of making an entire little wardrobe of these things.  They're simple, they're cute, they're comfy, they're easy and they're practical!  WIN, WIN, WIN!!


My next goal is to tackle fitted skirts with zippers once I get my sewing machine (and a house) again!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails