Thursday, September 2, 2010

I Finally Made Something


My son started school this year and I have decided to do "garbage free" lunches (actually mid-morning meal).  My goal is to keep it about 80% garbage free and more is bonus!  I know the occasional juice box or applesauce container is inevitably going to end up in there at times but as I whole this is what I'm doing.

I saw a Lunchopolis system at Whole Foods and decided to get one since it was heavily discounted.  I loved the different sized containers and even more loved that it included a drink bottle.  All of these are designed to fit into the lunch box so I thought it would work for day trips, outings, etc.  Turns out it's been working perfect in my son's lunchbox, I just use a couple of the boxes and the drink bottle and it's great!

Anyway, I decided to make some fabric napkins to use in his snack to keep with the theme.  He usually doesn't even use one but I always put one in there.  I think over the next couple of months I want to make a stock of fabric napkins for the house too!

He decided on this bright orange flame fabric I got for $1.50 a yard once upon a time.  It's perfect and a yard made 5 napkins and 2 snack bags.  I made these napkins a little smaller since he's smaller.  They are super easy to make!



All I did was iron the fabric (leaving it folded in half) and then cut it into 12 inch strips.  I then cut off the selvage edge and the fold and cut each strip in half which turned out to be about 11 inches.  Simply put right sides together, sew around being sure to leave an opening to flip it, clip the corners, turn it right side out, push out corners, iron flat, and top stitch all the way around.

As a cool finishing touch I found a clip art flame and cut it out.  I traced it on the napkin with chalk and then sewed the line.  It was in yellow so it's visible but not outright obvious.  If you look close below you can see it.


I LOVE the way these turned out and so does he!!  I kinda have napkin making fever now since they are so darn easy and so darn cute!  I can be stylish and save the planet all at the same time.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails